Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 13:35:29 +0000
From:      Giao Nguyen <grail@functional.com>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft brainrot (was: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf)

Jamie Bowden said:
> off somedays).  When I worked for a CS dept., I ran into this attitude
> there among students.  How the hell does a CS student plan on getting a
> degree in a computer field without actually learning about a computer?

I ask myself the same question. The CS students that I deal with give me
a good scare when I think that they'll be graduating in a year or so. A
young gentlement was asking me about how to implement a queue. Now mind,
you, for a lower level student this should not be a difficult concept.
For a junior in computer science (and one of the brighter ones I might
add), it's a difficult concept for me to fathom this.

Of course, the department is standardizing on NT. Why? Probably parental
pressure about how their children a) can't play any games or b) can't
find a word processor for Unix.

Though I usually find it amusing to discuss concepts of operating
systems. When I mention processes, I usually get blank stares .....

> What's worse is that some of them manage.  The grad students were worse
> than the undergrads.  Anyway, enough ranting for now.

Agreed. Scary isn't it? Blind leading the blind.

--
Giao Nguyen