Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 23:33:28 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        patrick@esoltani.com, capm@gmx.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous Reboot on Startx (was Re: Problem with "shutdown -p now")

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 11:23:45PM -0400, Jud wrote:
> > From: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
> > To: "patrick" <patrick@esoltani.com>, "Pascal Giannakakis"
> > <capm@gmx.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> > Subject: Fwd: Re: Problem with "shutdown -p now"
> > Date: 6/3/2002 9:21:40 PM
> >
> > At 17:39 2002/06/03 -0700, patrick wrote:
> >

> Errm - Scott, when I did the apm_enable,
> remove-disable-apm-and-recompile-kernel thing (plus cd /dev and sh
> MAKEDEV all), it solved my shutdown problem (I'd had it on my ASUS
> A7V333), but the next two times I tried to start the X server, my
> machine spontaneously rebooted.  Also, I'm using a boot manager/loader
> called BootItNG ('cause nothing else seems to grok my RAID setup so
> well, plus it does partition/slice moving/resizing/imaging), and both
> times after the reboot my EMBR (extended MBR) was hosed.  To
> paraphrase W.C. Fields, on the whole, I'd rather have the shutdown
> problem.  ;-)
>
> Jud

There's a certain humor in that.  However, the ASUS MB problem with
startx is usually easily fixed.  I happen to know about this, because
I have an ASUS

There was a PR filed on it.  When did you last do cvsup and
buildworld?  If it hasn't been for awhile, doing so should fix the
startx problem, Mr. Malone has fixed it.

If not, and you don't feel like doing a build world, you should be
able to fix it by doing the following.
Open up /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/i686_mem.c

Around line 269, there's probably something like

u_int           cr4save;

mrd = sc->mr_desc;

In between those two lines, put

return;

Then recompile, and that should fix it.
The only thing that worries me about giving this advice is that you
didn't have the problem before. In general, it's been a problem with
various (though not all) ASUS boards, and didn't as far as I know,
have anything to do with apm--it was connected with MTRR.

Let me know what happens, for my own knowledge (unless you've already
put things back as they were, fixed it and don't feel like bothering)

Thanks.

Scott