Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:23:19 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Corrupt File System

Hi,

I have an 8GB IDE HD with FreeBSD on the last (4th) partition. I tried to
install Rhapsody (MacOS X) DR2 the other day and now I cant find FreeBSD
(No bootmanager sees it)...If I boot FReeBSD from a seperate HD and
try and mount the partions I get:

incorrect super block

I have tried the dd and vnconfig trick posted to the list a while ago.

I get outputs like:

<snip>
fs at block # 526784 last mounted on /usr f->fs_ncyl=1840
 (1 4096 4096 = 7536640)
fs at block # 526800 last mounted on  f->fs_ncyl=1840
 (1 4096 4096 = 7536640)
fs at block # 592336 last mounted on  f->fs_ncyl=1840
 (1 4096 4096 = 7536640)
<snip>

I then type:

dd if=/dev/rwd2s4 of=usr.raw bs=512 skip=526783 count=7536640
vnconfig /dev/vn0c usr.raw

skip is one less than the number given in the output to make sure the
first block is included.  When I try to fsck /dev/rvn0c I get:

** /dev/rvn0
BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST
ALTERNATE
ioctl (GCINFO): Inappropriate ioctl for device
fsck: /dev/rvn0: can't read disk label

Trying to mount /dev/vn0 Produces a file /mnt (not a directory)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew