Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:49:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI problems with today's current

On 16-Oct-2002 Mitsuru IWASAKI wrote:

>> > Maybe 0x2 is correct.
>>
>> I tried 2, and it seems to work correctly now.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Congratulations!
>
># Now we can start discussing ACPI PCI vs. legacy PCI :)
> DSDT in ACPI BIOS on Supermicro P3TDE6 has obviously wrong _BBN value,
> but previous kernel can fall back to legacy PCI bridge probing even if
> PCI bridge probing by ACPI is failed.
>
> From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
> Subject: PCI problems with today's current
> Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 17:57:06 -0600
>
>> acpi_pcib1: <Host-PCI bridge> on acpi0
>> acpi_pcib1: we have duplicate bus number 0 - not probing bus
> [snip]
>> pcib2: <ServerWorks host to PCI bridge> at pcibus 2 on motherboard
>> IOAPIC #1 intpin 8 -> irq 16
>> pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib2
>> ti0: <Netgear GA620 1000baseT Gigabit Ethernet> mem 0xfebfc000-0xfebfffff irq 16 at device 2.0
>> on pci2
>
> I think that previous probing system is much more robust and safer
> in many cases, especially buggy ACPI BIOS.
> John, can we have previous PCI probing system again?

I would rather fix ACPI to handle the bogus _BBN case by using _ADR to
read the bus number from config space.  Otherwise, we won't end up with
_PRT's for non-zero host-PCI bridges, meaning that we may end up trying
to mix and match $PIR and _PRT interrupt routing for the UP case, or
trying to mix and match mptable and _PRT routing for the SMP case.  We
should either let ACPI enumerate all host-PCI bridges or none.