Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2001 15:47:50 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   Re: Fortune candidate...

At 11:48 AM 8/2/2001, Brad Knowles wrote:

>Folks,
>
>        I kid you not.  This is a direct quote from a private e-mail discussion that I've been having:
>
>> the future.. why support something that is needed in the future ?
>> and not now ?
>
>        Now, it turns out that this person is a seventeen year-old kid.

Which is actually a telling reflection of the Zeitgeist. Things change
so fast and in such wildly unpredictable ways nowadays that preparing
too much for -- or even attempting to anticipate -- the future can
actually be frustrating and risky. What you're hearing from this
17-year-old is the impression that many younger people are getting
of the world: Everything is transient and chaotic, so why try to plan?

--Brett