Date:      Sun, 08 Aug 1999 11:54:15 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        tcobb@staff.circle.net
Cc:        lightningweb@hotmail.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, greg@lightningweb.com, jeremy@lightningweb.com, keith@lightningweb.com, criter@lightningweb.com
Subject:   Re: continued crashes with 3.1-Stable

In message <307D63ED6749CF11AAE9005004461A5B3FB8@FREYA> tcobb@staff.circle.net writes:
: I think the problem is the SMP.  I've been having frequent
: freezes with SMP under heavy webserver load with 3.2-R,
: and 3.2-S.  I'm unfortunately led to believe that FreeBSD
: SMP is just not ready for primetime.  Too bad the $$ we blew
: on a dual PIII-550 box.

I've seen freezes on -stable from NFS.  We use amd, which creates
local NFS mounts (mounts where both the client and server are on the
same machine).  When there are high loads, a deadlock situation can
occur where a struct buf buffer is trying to be written out, but fails
because of NFS locking.  Matt Dillon's help in tracking this down has
been invaluable.  I'm working on a kludge to keep the deadlock from
happening.

That might be the cause of your hangs....

Warner