Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:03:09 +0100
From:      "J. Martin Petersen" <techlists@motrix.dk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   netstat fails with memory allocation error and error in kvm_read

Hi

We are trying to gather some debug information for a problem that is difficult
to diagnose, as the machine always ends up hard frozen (does not do anything,
can not break to debugger, does not respond to keyboard, etc.), so we are
dumping output from netstat, vmstat, iostat etc. quite often.

The cron jobs fail ever so often with error messages I do not quite understand,
and I can not find anything relevant in the archives. Can anyone shed some light
on this?

Command:	netstat -r
Error message:	netstat: kvm_read: Bad address
Debug before:	http://www.aub.dk/~jmp/fw/debug-2004.12.09-21.34.41.gz
Debug after:	http://www.aub.dk/~jmp/fw/debug-2004.12.09-21.35.06.gz
# errors:	7

Command:	netstat -an
Error message:	netstat: sysctl: net.inet.udp.pcblist: Cannot allocate memory
Debug before:	http://www.aub.dk/~jmp/fw/debug-2004.12.09-07.38.48.gz
Debug after:	http://www.aub.dk/~jmp/fw/debug-2004.12.09-07.39.04.gz
# errors:	3

Command:	netstat -an
Error message:	netstat: sysctl: net.inet.raw.pcblist: Cannot allocate memory
Debug before:	http://www.aub.dk/~jmp/fw/debug-2004.12.10-22.19.50.gz
Debug after:	http://www.aub.dk/~jmp/fw/debug-2004.12.10-22.20.10.gz
# errors:	6

The number of errors are in the last five days. Kernelconfig (FIREWALL), dmesg,
pf.conf etc. can be found at http://www.aub.dk/~jmp/fw/

The commands we are running are:
	netstat -i, netstat -m, netstat -s, netstat -an, netstat -r
	vmstat, vmstat -i, vmstat -f, vmstat -m, vmstat -z
	iostat
	ps waux
every 15 seconds. We are running the same commands (plus pfctl -vvsa) from
root's cron every minute.

The hard lockups seems to be connected to our use of pf and altq, that is at
least the problem we're trying to gather debug information for.

Thanks in advance
Martin