Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:56:43 -0500
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: U Area Removal

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 10:00:35PM -0500, David Schultz wrote:
> > Over the years, the amount of data we have stored in each process' U
> > area has eroded to the point where all we have left are the following:
> >
> >   - A struct kinfo_proc that is only used for a.out core dumps.
> >     This can be reconstructed at the time of the core dump, so
> >     it doesn't need to be there.
>
> Aren't we 100% ELF these days? Surely aout is no longer relevant?

Complete removal of a.out support is a separate topic.
The aout.ko module works right now, and I've tried not
to break it.  Granted, I have yet to test whether a.out
core dumps actually still work, but I intend to do so.

> I've briefly looked over this and am happy to see it simplifies MD code
> somewhat.

FWIW, this is just phase one.  There's even more that can be axed
on another pass, such as most uses of PHOLD().