Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:56:43 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mptutil(8) causes VMware VM to crash hard

On 02/11/10 23:29, Charles Owens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We've been doing some work with mpt(4) and mptutil(8).  We noticed that
> in VMware (both Workstation and ESX) the SCSI controller is showing up
> as mpt0... so it seemed only natural to probe it with mptutil.  For

Which is probably useless as you can't exactly diagnose a virtual drive :)

> about 1 second, it looks ok (see below)... but what happened, in fact,
> is that the VM went down pretty much instantly (nothing on console... no
> panic, nothing).

For what it's worth this is the usual response of VMWare to any
situation it can't handle - instant VM kill.

To its credit, it doesn't appear to affect the host / hypervisor itself.

> Behavior confirmed in both ESX and Workstation.  Any help with this
> would be appreciated.  I'd be glad to test patches or whatever.

What are you expecting to do with mptutil? Hardware diagnostics itself
should be done on the VMWare host side.