Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:16:51 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hercules Game Theatre XP CS4630 csa pcm driver

   I've got a Hercules Game Theatre XP sound card.  It has an external=20
breakout box and uses a CS4630 chipset.  Just using the pcm device to pla=
y=20
sound produces a lot of crackling and popping.  This is because there are=
=20
special drivers for  Windows that control the output of the box.  I've go=
t=20
the whitepapers(registers,values,etc) for the CS4630, but I'm not sure wh=
ere=20
to start to even write a special purpose driver/kernel module for this=20
device.
   What would be required to write a driver for this device?  I've never =
done=20
this before, but that's never stopped me before.  What information do I n=
eed=20
to get from Hercules about the card/box and is there anyone who would be=20
willing to help me out if even it's just to figure out what information t=
hat=20
I need to get started.

Thanks for any help,

--=20