Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 2003 00:21:11 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        adaml@visimation.com
Subject:   Re: Redirecting root's email

Adam Lofstedt wrote:
[ ... ]
> Thanks Jack.  That didn't work.  This is what I got:
> forcefield# mail -v -s test sendtest < /dev/null
> Null message body; hope that's ok
> sendtest... Connecting to localhost.visimation.com. via relay...
> sendtest... Deferred: Operation timed out with localhost.visimation.com
>
> I think something else is wrong here.  This is on a dual-homed gateway
> running ipf and ipnat.  For testing purposes I made the ipf.rules simply
> pass in all and pass out all, and then I am mapping my external address
> on external NIC to my internal network.  In ipnat.rules I am redirecting
> port 25 of the external interface to port 25 of my internal network's
> mailserver.

That probably means that sendmail can't bind to port 25 on that interface,
because your NAT rule is already listening on that port, in order to redirect
connections.  [ However, you may not care if you're only trying to send mail
outbound from this gateway box. ]

> This seems like a standard gateway setup.  I'm not sure how/why it would
> affect sendmail running on the gateway machine.  I just can't understand
> why I can telnet into 127.0.0.1 port 25 and get a response from
> sendmail, but then when I try to send a mail out, it can't connect to
> the localhost.

Are you sure that "localhost.visimation.com" maps to 127.0.0.1?  Anyway, you
don't want to deliver the mail locally, right-- you want the mail from
"forcefield" to be relayed (via an alias if I understood the earlier part of
the thread) to your "internal network's mailserver".

Can you telnet internal_mailserver 25?
Does it work if you turn off NAT and the redirect?
Is there anything interesting in /var/log/maillog?

-Chuck