Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:29:39 +1000
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Benjamin Close <cisbjc@reason.levels.unisa.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8->Current & Depreciated files

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 04:44:54PM +0930, Benjamin Close wrote:
> 	I'm about to upgrade from FreeBSD 4.8 to Current (following the
> instructions in UPDATING) and was just wondering if mergemaster removes
> depreciated files between the two versions. Ie: /etc/rc.sendmail I believe
> is now depreciated to one of the rcNG scripts. Does merge master handle
> the deleting of this file or is there some other utility?

I've just been through this. The instructions would have you run
mergemaster -p before doing an installworld. For me, that only tried to
update /etc/passwd and /etc/group which already had the sendmail users
and groups so there was nothing to update.

After doing the installworld, mergemaster knows about the rc.d change and
running mergemaster (without -p) did not cause any grief.

For me, the update was most error prone around the stage where the new
kernel had been installed and a reboot was asked for (see src/Makefile).
The old loader installation still thought that the kernel was in the
root directory and loaded it instead of the 5-current version.

>From the boot prompt you need to unload /kernel and load /boot/kernel/kernel
manually before doing the installworld. Then things will go according to plan.
If you don't do that, you'll get a core dump from sh when the installcheck is
performed by src/Makefile.inc1 and you won't be sure what has gone wrong
if you didn't notice that the new kernel you supposedly installed wasn't
actually run.

--
John Birrell