Date:      19 Feb 2003 19:49:43 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fontconfig/fc-cache: i really think i'm too stupid for this!

--=-F9dyqGV4BM92f63BSrhQ

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 18:41, Franz Klammer wrote:
> help! please!
>=20
> could some tell me in word that i understand it with my=20
> narrow mind? this is the second time i've problems with
> this. (did you remember joe? :-<)
>=20
> please tell me someone if i'm wrong, but this is the normal way=20
> if i want to add fonts for use with X/fontconfig/Xft: (or?)
>=20
> 1. insert the new fontpath into XF86Config
> 2. fonts.conf: standard =3D top-level of the X11-fonts direcory.
> 3. fc-cache -f -v=20
> 4. local.conf: only rewrites some font settings
> 5. start gnome and be happy.
>=20
> this i've done:
>=20
> 1. installing bitstream-vera -> no more fonts available
> 2. adding the new fontpath to XF86Config.
> 3. - 100. please don't ask me any more what i did.
>           (many recurrences)
> 101. delete _every_  fonts.cache-1 and ~/.fonts.cache-1
> 102. write _every_ font-path <dir>...</dir> (like FontPath in
>      XF86Config) into local.conf =3D revert to state of local.conf=20
>      before installing the vera-fonts
> 103. including the additional vera-directory to local.conf
> 104. gnome is starting again.
>=20
>=20
> where a the pitfalls i've overseen or are my thoughts basically=20
> wrong?

Franz, I made the Makefile for bitstream-vera do all the work for you.=20
Basically, all you need to do is install it, add the one FontPath line
to XF86Config, then restart X.  After logging back in, you should be
able to use all the new fonts.  NOTE, the Bitstream fonts will not
appear unless you restart X (or at least the GNOME application you want
them to appear in). =20

Joe

>=20
> franz.