Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:28:49 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange situation with NAT and sendmail

I've got two networks -- A (10.0.0.0/24) and  B (192.168.0.0/24), both
behind NAT gateways.

The problem I'm having is that I cannot connect to the mail server on
network A (10.0.0.2) from any machine behind the NAT gateway on network B.
However, any system on network B can successfully ping the gateway of
Network A, as well as connect to the two HTTP servers running on the same
host as the mail server (10.0.0.2).  The mail server is running, since I can
connect to it from the NAT box on network A (via internal address) and via
public port-forwarded address from the NAT box on network B.

Why can't I connect to it from behind the network B's NAT gateway, when I
can connect fine to other services running on the same machine?

--
Matt Emmerton