Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 22:19:51 -0400
From:      David Petrou <dpetrou@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC's SysV shared memory settings+defaults  be re-thought?

> If I may comment on my desktop experience... I have been running
> E+gnome, with the usual netscape/xemacs/mailer combination for a good
> while now, on a Pentium 166Mhz with 32M but around 100-150Mb or swap.
>
> Never had problems with SHM.

i've commented about the problems with shm and a heavy enlightenment /
gnome load a few weeks ago to stable, but my message was pretty much
ignored.  also note that this issue has been brought up in current a
year or so ago.

my problems went away with:

  options  SHMMAXPGS=8192
  options  SHMMNI=4096
  options  SHMSEG=1024

i don't know enough about the internals to know the downside for using
these high values, but i'm pretty confident on today's architectures
it's irrelevant.  can someone that knows more than i confirm this and
make a permanent change to the kernel config file?  it would spare a
lot of people some headache.  my symptoms before making this change
were gnome-terminals disappearing when starting xmms.  not a very
clear connection to shm.

> A.

david