Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 2010 18:28:27 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>
Cc:        kline <kline@thought.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATTN GARY KLINE

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 335, Issue 8, Message: 29
On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 01:32:11 -0400 Jon Radel <jon@radel.com> wrote:
 > On 11/5/10 12:22 AM, kline wrote:
[..]
 > > It is time to  get this stuff arrow-straight, so hoping that someone
 > > on-list can clue me in.
[..]
 > > http://www.dnscog.com/report/thought.org/1288928790

 > If your parents, the nameservers authoritative for .org, tell the world
 > that one of the nameservers for thought.org is ns1.thought.org, they
 > also have to tell the world what the IP address for ns1.thought.org is
 > using an A record.  That A record is glue.  Otherwise you get a machine
 > conversation something like:
 >
 > Resolving nameserver trying to find a record in the thought.org zone
 > (RN):  Please Mr. root server, I'd like to know about www.thought.org....
 > Root:  See the .org folks over there....
 > RN:  Please Mr. top-level dude, about that www.thought.org....
 > Org: Well, see ns1.thought.org....
 > RN:  Ahem, I'm trying to find out basic stuff about thought.org and I
 > don't know the address for ns1.thought.org in order to ask it
 > Org:  Well, ask ns1.thought.org what the address for ns1.thought.org is...
 > RN:  But, but, but....followed by petulant stomping off
 >
 > Glue A records fix that problem.

Lovely description Jon :)  But you don't always have any control of what
parent nameservers do; eg we do DNS for a .com but both NS are in .au so
DNS reports always whinge about lack of glue .. nonetheless it works,
though only after a hunt down through the .au servers, until cached.

 > BTW, the fact that a glue record isn't returned for ns2.everydns.net in
 > response to a query about NS records for thought.org really isn't a
 > problem; note the "info" rather than "fail" from DNSCog.
 >
 > Biggest problem I still see is that ns2.everydns.net refuses to respond
 > to queries about thought.org.  You sure your account there is still
 > active and functional and that you're allowing zone transfers to them?

Confirmed here, no response at all after a good long wait; worse than
reyrning 'we don't do thought.org'

% dig @ns2.everydns.net. thought.org
; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1 <<>> @ns2.everydns.net. thought.org
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd

where they really should be quickly issuing a REFUSED response. 'dig
@ns2.everydns.net. everydns.net' works fine, so I'm reaching it ok.

 > I note that you don't allow transfers from arbitrary addresses, and
 > http://www.everydns.com/faq/secondary-domain/example-setup does warn
 > that the source address for transfer requests was/will/did change.
 >
 > Some of the problems reported by DNSCog appear to be bogus.  They've got
 > some bugs related to cases where a nameserver has a name in the domain
 > in question.  (And also some bugs related to nameservers which are
 > reachable by both ipv4 and ipv6, but that doesn't apply to you.)

Bogus indeed.  Tested one local domain there and got whinging about not
accepting <> and postmaster@ mail; odd, thought I, but maillog shows:

Nov  4 22:43:43 xxxx sm-mta[81227]: ruleset=check_relay,
  arg1=[216.146.46.136], arg2=216.146.46.136, relay=[216.146.46.136],
  reject=550 5.7.1 Fix reverse DNS for 216.146.46.136

% dig -x 216.146.46.136
[..]
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;136.46.146.216.in-addr.arpa.   IN      PTR

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
46.146.216.in-addr.arpa. 1800   IN      SOA     ns1.mydyndns.org.
 zone-admin.dyndns.com. 2008082768 10800 1800 604800 1800

Seems a bit amateurish to me, running a service like that on a dynamic
address without reverse resolution, then expecting mail to work ..

cheers, Ian