Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:50:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   devices under 4.0

I recently upgraded from 3.2 to 4.0.  I use an ide hard disk, and would
like to know how to change over the devices.  I created the new devices
by copying over /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV to a new /dev directory and running
it, but it didn't create any ata* devices such as is shown in the kernel
config file.
It did make devices ada1, ada2, ada3, and ada4, which would correspond to
the four slices on my disk, but if there are no freebsd partitions shown,
such as ada4a, etc.