Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 16:55:16 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-security@rikrose.net
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: options USER_LDT

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 02:22:59PM +0000, freebsd-security@rikrose.net wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> > Um, guys? I think your language is becoming too tortured.
>
> <nodnod>
>
> > Does USER_LDT still exist as a kernel option, and is it still doc'd in
> > LINT?
>
> Yes.

Yes and yes in 4.x.  In 5.x, it is no longer available, because it is on
by default.

> > Does it pose a security risk in the more current releases?
>
> Aparently not, but I haven't allowe anyone else to have an account the the
> only machine I've got it on.

It has *never* posed any kind of security risk.

> > And is it enabled now by default, or simply depreciated, and no longer
> > a possible "gotcha" in running Wine or mplayer?
>
> It is not enabled by default, but was still available for use if you
> wanted it.

This is true of 4.x.  For 5.x after Feb 23 2001, it is always enabled
and there is no way of turning it off.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If I were you, who would be reading this sentence?