Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:03:40 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
Subject:   Re: what can i do with a 486?

On Friday 06 April 2007 11:34, deeptech71@gmail.com wrote:
> Danny Pansters wrote:
> > Might still be too little (or defect!) RAM. One other idea might be to add isa
> > (you have pci and eisa), an old (isa-based?) mobo may need some crufty
> > plug-n-pray stuff -- possibly even to get to the HD controller, I'm not sure.
>
> It was running windoze3.1 normally. I doubt about defective RAM.
>
> PCI is definitely unneeded, I only had it there to allow it to boot on a new
> comp. But as I've seen it, it would boot without it: with the message 'loading
> required module pci'. I don't know if it's an EISA or ISA or whatever (google
> images show this and that..), so now I have 'device eisa' and 'isa'.

One change in 5.x and later is that we now load the kernel at 4MB phyiscal
address rather than 1MB to work around an issue on Pentium 4's with PSE.
If you can find a way to change the kernel to load at 1MB again that would
probably help a lot.

> >> Oh and.. should I be using 5.1 over 6.2?
> >
> > 5 is dead. You pretty much must use 6 I think.
>
> floating point emulation... What about it? Is that required? The old proc doesnt
> support it. It was removed since 5.3, I've heard...

A 486sx will need it, a 486dx will not.

> What about apic?

486's in general don't have APICs, and we don't support the special ones
486's use anyway, so axe it.

--
John Baldwin