Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:07:02 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Seva Gluschenko <gvs@rinet.ru>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/72383: manpage for awk(1) is terribly small and loses important notes

>Number:         72383
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       manpage for awk(1) is terribly small and loses important notes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD road.yandex.ru 5.3-BETA3 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA3 #11: Tue Sep 7 19:13:32 MSD 2004 gvs@road.yandex.ru:/local/obj/local/usr/src/sys/ROAD i386

	Cite from gawk (bundled with FreeBSD-4.x) manpage:

       Each field in the input record may be referenced by its  position,  $1,
       $2,  and  so  on.  $0 is the whole record.  The value of a field may be
       assigned to as well.  Fields need not be referenced by constants:

              n = 5
              print $n
	[etc]

	This piece of information is quite important for successful usage
	of awk, so omitting it is not good. I suppose, it's not the only
	example of poorness of BSD awk manpage.

>How-To-Repeat:
	$ man awk

	;)
>Fix:

	At least, include the note above about fields. At most, review
	and fill awk manpage with all necessary details.