Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:30:09 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alex Lyashkov <shadow@psoft.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel panic at quotactl with 5.2-current

--Evp0T6PXIQ26qRMT

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 07:17:40PM +0300, Alex Lyashkov wrote:
+> Hello All
+>=20
+> Steps for reproduce:
+>=20
+> 1) start with generic kernel.
+> 2) install samba 2.2.8a from ports with quota & ACL support.
+> 3) mount fat32 partition to some mount point, as example mount /mnt/dos
+> 4) add to smb.conf=20
+> [tmp]
+>    comment =3D Temporary file space
+>    path =3D /mnt/dos
+>    read only =3D no
+>    public =3D yes
+> 5) mount this share via smbmount from linux box and start mc (i think it
+> work and with other access to this share)
+> ...
+>=20
+> This patch fixed this problem.

Your fix is probably only a workaround.
The problem is more complex, because vn_start_write() is able to return 0
and mp =3D=3D NULL when operation is not supported by file system.
I'm not yet sure if we just can't fix vn_start_write() to return
EOPNOTSUPP when needed, but there is a special case for this:

	if (error !=3D EOPNOTSUPP)
		return (error);
	return (0);

and I must figure out why. There are many vn_start_write() consumers,
so this can take a while.
Anyway, thank you for your report.

--=20
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org