Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:32:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
Cc:        "Peter/Los Angeles, CA" <peter@haloflightleader.net>, Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>, sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Allen Landsidel wrote:

> >What I'm getting at is that just because one end is not set to
> >auto-negotiate/auto-sense that there will be no communication at all.  Say,
> >that one end is set manually, and the other end is automatic.  The automatic
> >end will set itself to the parameters of the one that is manually set.  This
> >is how my network works.  Thus, I don't believe that both ends, need to be
> >set the same way in order to work in this scenario.
>
> For auto-negotiation you are absolutely correct.  Setting it manually on
> just one end is the right way to do it, and often times, the only way to do it.

  Turning off auto-negotiation on one end, results in disabling
auto-negotiation entirely.  See the standard.  If the your NIC does
perform the capabilities negotiation with your switch, auto-negotiation is
assumed to be not supported and the switch will default to half-duplex.
The speed isn't an issue, as it easy to auto-detect speed.

Tom