Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:21:39 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Charles Youse <cyouse@artemis.syncom.net>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, ben@rosengart.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shouting in a void?

> > That sounds like support. Current is simply not supported. Good advice
> > about the handbook, though...
>
> Current may not be "supported", but those running -current comprise our
> only alpha and beta test groups.  The bug reports submitted by these
> individuals provide valuable information that serves only to improve
> the final product (e.g., 3.0R).  Ignoring such reports defeats the purpose
> of giving the public access to -current sources, and also shows a lack of
> concern on the part of the core team members.

Well, you have to keep several things in context here or you're going
to draw very some erroneous conclusions (and possibly already have):

1. The "current is not supported" comment was not made by a core member
   or someone otherwise authorized to "speak for the project" in any
   greater sense of the word.  Of course current is supported, it's just
   not *encouraged* for the average user and we stand by that.  The
   average user, who probably doesn't know how to apply a bandage or
   even necessarily know where the first-aid box is when cut by the
   bleeding edge, should certainly stick to the mainstream releases.
   In that sense, current is not "supported" for the average user.
   It is supported in every other sense, however, in that we respond
   to bug reports and otherwise attempt to make sure that the system
   builds and operates according to plan at any given time.

2. The freebsd project is not the core team.  The core team merely
   provides rough course corrections when such are required and
   generally manages the project when it needs managing.  Otherwise,
   it's more correct to say that the developers really run the project
   and are the people who's "concern" you most want to elicit when
   -current is unstable.  Core is a management body, not the bridge,
   the engine room and sickbay all rolled into one. :-)

- Jordan