Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:33:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rocketport (rp) PCI card on stable ?

Mike Tancsa writes:

 > I picked up a surplus Rocketport PCI card but am having problems getting it
 > to run on STABLE. I can get it to work just fine under windows, so I know
 > it works.  But I cant get it to work with FreeBSD. I have the /dev/cuaR#
 > devices, but alas, no joy.  All I want to do is just be able to use it as a
 > terminal server to connect to other FreeBSD boxes.
 >
 > Its detected as
 > rp0: <rp> port 0xd000-0xd03f irq 10 at device 10.0 on pci0
 > RocketPort0 = 8 ports
 > rp0: driver is using old-style compatibility shims
 >
 > I am just using cu, but I tried minicom as well without luck.  Has anyone
 > used this card with luck under STABLE ?

I'm using one on an alpha:

Preloaded elf module "rp.ko" at 0xfffffc000074e0c0
<...>
rp0: <RocketPort PCI> port 0x10080-0x100bf irq 9 at device 10.0 on pci0
RocketPort0 (Version 3.02) 8 ports.
<..>

I needed to backport the -current driver because the alpha needs the
busspace work present in the -current driver.  In case you have more
luck with the -current driver, I've left it a
     http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/rp.tgz

Just extract it into /usr/src/sys, cd /sys/modules/rp, make depend,
make install.

To try it, remove the rocketport device from your kernel, reboot, and
load the new rp.ko module.

Drew