Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:53:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        james@wgold.demon.co.uk (James Mansion)
Cc:        skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> Well, personally I think the problem is that if I say 'FreeBSD does
> not have SMP support', then I mean 'finished and working' and by
> implication given the way the (admirable, IMHO) release process
> works, this means that stable releases don't have it.
>
> Trouble is, people pop up and say 'yes it does have SMP support'.
>
> This is confusing, to say the least.

I think there is a bit of semantic confusion here.

You are not drawing a distinction between "XXX has SMP support" and
"XXX supports SMP".

I don't know if anyone in any of the free UNIX camps have stated
that "XXX supports SMP".

FreeBSD supports "ls".

FreeBSD has "sendmail" support.

See the difference?

(BTW: This is about to become mute; the current discussion on the SMP
 list is how to get the code main-lined).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---