Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:24:43 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Socketd <db@traceroute.dk>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.1-Release freezes

> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:16:52 +0200
> From: Socketd <db@traceroute.dk>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>
> Hi all
>
> I have just installed 5.1 Release on my laptop (6gb harddisk and 60 mb
> ram). I only installed the base system + man pages and the port
> collection. A little info:
> /	128M
> Swap	256M
> /var	128M
> /var/tmp 256M (/tmp is symlinked to this)
> /home	256M
> /usr	The rest
>
> I compiled a new kernel, with no support for SCSI, RAID, IPv6 and all
> but my USB NIC (also removed a few USB things). I added:
> options SC_DISABLE_REBOOT
> options MAC
> device pcm
>
> It compiled fine and I installed it. Now, if I run with this kernel the
> system freezes! I can boot, login and run a few commands, but that's it.
> There is nothing in the logs, but when I tried ssh'ing to the mashine I
> got this before it froze:
> fork() - Not enough ressources available at this time
>
> (or something like that).
>
> Is there a memory leak somewhere or am I doing something wrong? (I
> compiled and installed the kernel with:
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=SOCKETD
> make installkernel KERNCONF=SOCKETD)

Providing your complete configuration file and /var/run/dmesg.boot
might give a bit of a clue.

You do mention that you are using MAC. The MAC code is rather new and
clearly labeled as experimental, so that might be a source of the
problem. Can you try building a kernel without MAC?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)