Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 1997 13:47:24 -0600
From:      Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: >64MB

At 03:06 PM 11/6/97 +0100, Mikael Karpberg wrote:
>Heh. How are you going to get that message (or a filename to get it from),
>plus the check and such into 12 bytes? :-\
>Remember we're darn low on space in the boot block.

Yes, I know.  My boot blocks were supporting ">64MB" almost a year ago.  At
this point, the space restriction is the first problem to solve, and I don't
think that the best way to solve it is through strict conservation.

>It seems to me not doing the check at all, and just loading the kernel, and
>hoping it works would be better.

It's smaller, not better.  But whenever space is the most important
constraint, you have to do this anyway.

Space conservation is a large part of my day job, and there are still more
space saving tricks that can be used in the bootloader, but you really
don't want to be having this unnecessary restriction hanging around your
neck.

-
Tony