Date:      Mon, 01 Jan 1996 23:54:54 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, bora@wireless.stanford.edu (Bora Akyol), imp@village.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X for install (was: Re: syscons driver)

> Maybe . I would focus on describing a syntax and grammar for the installation
> procedure then offered different front-ends .

Like, *gasp*, a forms language! :-)

Seriously, that's what libforms attempted to do.  Not exactly sure why
that never got used, though the lack of documentation probably never
really helped, either.

It's a pretty basic problem.  Do you want to describe only interface?
Interface with tie-backs?  Interface and behavior in the same
description?  There are arguments for all three, but I would have to
see the proposed API (or IDL description) for a system before I could
really comment on it.

Perhaps the question should also be asked: "What exactly would folks
*like* ``install script'' to look like?"

					Jordan