Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 07:28:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: final state of mirroring ?

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Sun, 27 May 2001 14:50:05 +1000 (EST), jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au> said:
>
> >   to the stage there is a non consistent structure.  i really
> >   don't understand why there are 7 versions of one package,
>
> If the program is GPL'ed, we have to keep the source code around for
> three years.

you don't have to keep it online in the same archive in the same
place for 3 years surely.

"keep the source code" for 3 years on a separate machine or at worst
create "gpl-archived-versions" which can easily be excluded into which
older versions are copied which are *not* required to be carried, as
at the rate of GPL'ed software development, the distfiles directory
will exceed the freebsd archive size in a couple of years.

-jason