Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 19:49:18 +0100
From:      "Pål Sommerhein" <paalsom@ifi.uio.no>
To:        bertodell <bertodell@inetone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation floppy

bertodell wrote:

> I created the installation floppy as suggested and I'm wondering if I
> use it to see about compatiblity with my system it won't mess up my
> Windows 95 system? I plan on installing freebsd via ftp. Of course I
> will create a separate partition for freebsd. My main concern is if any
> changes will be made booting the installation floppy disk.Your reply
> would be appreciated

Hi

It is safe to boot the installation floppy to check the compatibility of your
system. It will not write _any_ changes to your disk drive provided you
answer _NO_ to the the step that goes something like this:
    Last Chance!  Are you SURE you want to continue the installation?
    [snip]

This step is fairly late in the installation process.  Before getting
this far though, you get to specify things like disk slices and partitions, installation media(cdrom,ftp etc.), and select distributions(what to install).

So go ahead, boot that floppy yours :-)
(just think twice before answering yes to the question mentioned above)

So long,
Pål