Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:50:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        John Martinez <rolnif@mac.com>
Cc:        Bluezmo <bluezmo@earthlink.net>, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hmm

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, John Martinez wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 07:09  AM, Bluezmo wrote:
>

> > To the people that suggested I run OS X on my Mac I need to say that I
> > already do & am aware of Darwin's presence.  However, the superior GUI
> > of the Macintosh distracts me from interacting with the command prompt.
> > I will delve into the reading material suggested to learn more.
>
> Huh? I have been using UNIX for like 14 years and have to say that Mac
> OS X has actually brought me "back in" to the BSD fold (I used SunOS
> when it was mostly BSD).

You can enter ">console" with no password into the login requestor of any
OS X machine and be dropped to a GUI-less login prompt.

> Anyway, I do agree that touching as many UNIX variants as you can is a
> good thing. Then, you can judge for yourself which one is your
> "favorite" flavor. I have touched tons of UNIX variants in my time. I
> have four favorites now three of which are BSD (one is FreeBSD, one is
> Mac OS X, the other is OpenBSD), and one being a commercial flavor from
> the major UNIX company left. Even though I do run Linux, I can't say
> that it is one of my favorites.

I converted my server from Solaris 8 to FreeBSD last year (ob: FreeBSD
reference) *specifically* to improve mindshare with OS X.  (I don't think
Darwin/x86 is far enough along for my comfort level).  I do use Linux on
x86 laptops for the better hardware support.

KeS