Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:54:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Douglas A. Maske" <maske@maske.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <charlie@infoworks.net>, <lebel@lebel.org>, <drosih@rpi.edu>, <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se>
Subject:    UPDATED! IBM Thinkpad T20 ISSUE!!!!

Hello,
	Here is the offical doc from ibm regarding the issue.
TP A20, A21, T20, T21, X20 - Unable to boot machine after installing
FreeBSD

Reference #:
852569850057E57E
Modified on:
2000/11/21

Product Information
Brand:
IBM ThinkPad
Product Family:
ThinkPad T20, ThinkPad A21p, ThinkPad A21m, ThinkPad A21e, ThinkPad A20p,
ThinkPad A20m, ThinkPad X20, ThinkPad T21
Machine Type:
All
Model:
All
TypeModel:

Symptom
An IBM ThinkPad will not boot to any attached device HDD, FDD, CD-ROM,
etc. after an installation of the FreeBSD operating system using a default
installation.

Affected configurations
Any IBM ThinkPad A20, A21, T20, T21, or X20.
Solution
Do not install a non-supprted operating system on IBM ThinkPads.

IBM offers no solution for the unbootable condition because FreeBSD is not
a supported operating system.

Additional information

ThinkPad T20 or T21
As stated in announcement letter PSG00-244, PSG 00-645, and others, the
following operating systems support the ThinkPad T20 and T21:
IBM OS/2 Warp Version 4 (with FixPack 11 or greater)
* IBM OS/2 Warp Version 4, Japanese (with FixPack FX05005, or later)
* Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
* Microsoft Windows 98
* Microsoft Windows 95
* Microsoft Windows NT(R) Workstation 4.0
* Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Japanese
* Microsoft Windows 2000
*

Announcement letter PSG00-365 for the T20 and PSG00-646 for the T21, state
Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 (U.S. English only) supports the T20 and
T21 respectively. Operating systems other than those preinstalled on the
systems may not provide full-feature functionality.

ThinkPad A20 or A21
As stated in announcement letter PSG00-242, PSG00-640, and others, the
following operating systems support the ThinkPad A20 and A21:
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
* Microsoft Windows 98
* Microsoft Windows 95
* Microsoft Windows NT(R) Workstation 4.0
* Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Japanese
* Microsoft Windows 2000
*

Announcement letter PSG00-362 for the A20m and PSG00-641 for the A21m,
state Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 (U.S. English only) supports the A20m
and A21m respectively. Operating systems other than those preinstalled on
the systems may not provide full-feature functionality.

ThinkPad A20 or A21

ThinkPad X20
As stated in announcement letter PSG00-574 the following operating systems
support the ThinkPad X20:
Microsoft Windows 98
* Microsoft Windows 95
* Microsoft Windows NT(R) Workstation 4.0
* Microsoft Windows 2000
* Microsoft Windows Millennium (Japan)
*

The HDD can be recovered to make the system bootable again using various
utilities. However, IBM does not recommend any specific utility or support
the use of any of these utilities.

Personal Systems Group Technical Support

Privacy

Legal

Contact