Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:33:02 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@portaone.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Project Evil & ACX100-based cards (D-Link DWL-520+)

OK, step by step:

1. cvsup ~1 hour ago
2. built/installed new kernel, rebooted
3. loaded ndis and if_ndis.ko modules:

ndis0: <D-Link AirPlus DWL-520+ Wireless PCI Adapter> port 0xa800-0xa81f
mem 0xf2000000-0xf200ffff,0xf2011000-0xf2011fff irq 11 at device 6.0 on pci3
ndis0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
ndis0: Ethernet address: 00:0d:88:8b:7f:1c
ndis0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 11Mbps

4. Configured the interface:

-bash-2.05b$ sudo ifconfig ndis0 mediaopt adhoc
-bash-2.05b$ sudo ifconfig ndis0 ssid "portaone"
-bash-2.05b$ sudo ifconfig ndis0 wepmode off
-bash-2.05b$ sudo ifconfig ndis0 192.168.1.1
ndis0: link up
-bash-2.05b$ ifconfig ndis0
ndis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         ether 00:0d:88:8b:7f:1c
         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect
<adhoc>)
         status: associated
         ssid ""
         channel -1 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
         rtsthreshold 2312 protmode CTS
         wepmode OFF weptxkey 1

Then I'm trying to connect to that network from my WinXP laptop. I can
see network portaone in wireless networks browser just fine. IP address
on appropriate interface is configured statically in WinXP to be
192.168.1.2. I can connect to it also without any problems, but ping
doen't work between those machines. Also, where I start tcpdump on the
FreeBSD machine I don't see any traffic even ARPs.

You can find tarball with my ndis_driver_data.h and files from
/compat/ndis at http://www.portaone.com/~sobomax/dwl520.tar.bz2. Please
let me know if any other information is necessary.

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Maxim