Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:33:29 +0200
From:      "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Sergey Matveychuk <sem@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: portinstall breaks with -m "-j 4"

Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>
> L> > -j is not supported for ports.
> L> >
> L>
> L> Well, it should be, with all the multi-core CPUs coming. And all other
> L> targets work fine with -j. It's solely the install target that's broken.
> L>
> L> Is there any reason why it is not supported?
>
> Too many software authors do not design their build invironment for parallel
> work.  Many ports broke in configure and/or build phases just with make -j2.
>
> Sincerely,
> D.Marck                                     [DM5020, MCK-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]

Well, at least the ports system itself should not be broken able to work with this. With larger ports I manage to reduce build times by 40% with distcc and a second machine. As far as I see it the number of ports breaking is rather low. On many ports it simply doesn't have an effect, but so far only editors/vim really breaks on my systems.

BTW, I apologize for this is not at all a portupgrade issue, but an issue of the ports system.