Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 11:04:03 +0000 ()
From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@bsi.com.br>
To:        BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NT Workstation 4.0 <-> FreeBSD 2.2 Snap pppd

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996 BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com wrote:

> A local user is trying to connect to our dial-in server, which is running
> 2.2 10-14-96 Snap, with no success. We can connect with other systems, but
> his NT 4.0 Workstation machine just won't do it. In fact, during one
> attempt, he hung pppd so badly that it didn't even terminate when the modem
> connection was broken; I had to kill the process myself!
Hello...
I have some problems this kind.. Please check:
1) /etc/ppp/config
	modem
	crtscts
	netmask 0xfffffffe
2) make sure your modem is doing cts-rts flow control (see the modem doc)
3) issue the command "comcontrol /dev/ttydxx drainwait 10" at machine
	startup.

The modem hungs because the output buffer is full and the OS is waiting
to "pull" data to it and the modem signal "not ready" to the OS.
Putting a command comcontrol with drainwait 10 tells the OS a timeout of
10 seconds.

Hope this will help

Sergio Lenzi.

Unix consult.