Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 17:21:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!lakes.water.net!rivers, ponds!lambert.org!terry
Cc:        ponds!freebsd.org!hackers
Subject:   Re: "dup alloc" - nope - kern/2875 wasn't it.

> > > I guess it would be worth while to take out the printf's until you can
> > > isolate the printf's that "fix" the problem.  Then analyze the effects of
> > > the printfs serializing writes.
> >
> >  My thinking exactly - I've now gone back to just a pristine kernel and
> > I'm trying to find a missing splbio()/splx(), or something along those
> > lines... so far, no luck...
>

> I am, of course, unable to duplicate your panics.

 Ok - here's another approach.

 Since I have a machine that readily duplicates the problem; one
issue is to make that available to someone who may be able to
test..

 I could (possibly) set it up as a diskless machine, then allow
telnet sessions into my machines at home.  From the larger
machines, someone would be able to build kernels... and, if I run
a serial line, and make this headless; a remote person should
be able to have a console, with ddb, etc... and debug this problem.

 Or - maybe not even that involved; a file system on the floppy
with the kernel and enough to duplicate the problem; along with
the serial console, should get it... [as long as the serial console
doesn't mask the problem]

 Then, you could put on the new kernel (on the floppy), reboot
and test away...

 I would be *delighted* to set this up; and stay connected to
my ISP to allow telnets, etc.. to get this resolved...   Would
anyone like to participate?  [A serious remote debugging experiment,
huh?]

 I'll get started on the serial console stuff later tonight...

	- Dave Rivers -