Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:00:24 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-jails@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Jacques Foucry" <jacques+freebsd@foucry.net>
Subject:   Re: Move jails hard way to iocage

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021, at 5:34 AM, Dan Langille wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021, at 5:28 AM, Jacques Foucry wrote:
> > Hello Friends,
> >
> > I run many jails, configured in the "hard way" (ie `/etc/jail.conf` file) and
> > I would like to move them into iocage.
> >
> > I can't find any help on the Internet (may be I did search corretly).
> >
> > Did some own have a pointer or a how-to?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your time and advises,
>
> https://dan.langille.org/2021/02/28/converting-an-iocage-jail-to-a-vanilla-jail/

Sorry, I misread, and though you were moving to jails.

This is from ezjail to iocage. Might help.

https://dan.langille.org/2019/04/08/converting-thin-jails-to-thick-jails/

Yes, I have been moving from iocage to vanilla jails. I find it better suits my use
cases, specifically my FreshPorts jails which contain zfs file systems which it
must occasionally issue a 'zfs rollback'. I also like that my jails start or stop
faster. The additional work I need to do relates to jail creation (creating the
file systems etc). For that, I'm using https://github.com/mkjail/mkjail - in fact,
this morning I am using that to update several jails.

e.g. [dvl@r720-02:~/src/mkjail/src] $ sudo bin/mkjail upgrade -v 12.2-RELEASE -j nginx01

After reading FreeBSD Mastery: Jails I saw how straight forward a jail.conf entry can
be.  https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#fmjail

--
  Dan Langille
  dan@langille.org