Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 02:11:07 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernelbuild "the new way" (Was: APM not even a sign)

On 23 Jun 2002, at 22:22, Annelise Anderson boldly uttered:

> On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
>

> > So what's the downside of using the "new way" to rebuild a kernel on
> > an existing system who hasn't had its source upgraded since the last
> > build?
> >
> > That's been what I've always done - relatively new FreeBSD user that
> > I am (since 4.1).  Any reason not to do it that way?
> >
> There is no down side; on a system in which the sources for the base
> system have been built and installed (i.e., installworld has been done)
> they are equivalent.  The kernel will end up (before it's installed) in
> the /usr/obj hierarchy, however, just in case you want to build one and
> not install it (e.g., building a kernel.GENERIC).
>
> 	Annelise

OK, thanks for the clarification.  I never did learn how to use the
"config <stuff>" command.  Somewhere around 4.0 to 4.2 I think is
when they introduced the "buildworld/buildkernel" targets.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium