Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:51:45 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Riccardo Torrini <riccardo@torrini.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a header conflict?

[ ... moved totally to -chat ... ]

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > I've been offering for several years now to mentor you through the
> > process of developing a prototype that is useful to FreeBSD and to
> > work with you on getting it accepted into FreeBSD, but as usual you're
> > more interested in talking about how cool it would be to have, than in
> > following through with code.
>
> The code is trivial.

Let me clarify this, since some people have asked me about my
use of the word "trivial".  I use it in the sense of mathematicians,
which is to say:

	"A brain-dead iguana could do the work, though it might
	 take a while for it to complete it".

...in other words, "grunt work".

It takes no great creativity; the major obstacle to implementation
is, in fact the "getting it accepted into FreeBSD" part; forgive me
if my volunteerism doesn't extend to playing politics to get the
code in question "accepted" by people who shouldn't be standing in
the way of its adoption in the first place.

A coworker at Novell coined a term called "AI"; it didn't stand for
what you think it stands for normally, instead it stood for the
term "Artificial Importance", which applies to people who put
themselves between a goal and the people attempting to accomplish
it, in order to make themselves important by becoming bottlenecks.

-- Terry