Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:48:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read this...

This message needs to be hunted down and summarily shot, hanged, run
through, burned, and buried.  Someone's mail server needs a killin'.

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

:
:This message needs a FAQ entry.
:
:On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:
:
:>
:>
:> > Alfred Perlstein wrote:
:> > > Will someone with more courage and experiance than I please speak up about
:> > > this, perhaps contact sun?
:> >
:>
:> > Please _don't_ ask Sun for anything until you have a working port on
:> > limited hardware. I doubt that anyone following this list would be
:> > prepared to spend $$$ based on what has been said so far. Those people
:> > who have access to Sun machines should be able to do a port with neither
:> > financial nor moral support from Sun. If you want this sort of support,
:> > you have to earn it.
:>
:> Let me explain the meaning of the word "support" from my personal point of
:>
:> 1) I haven't any Sun Hardware. I'm a student and I cannot pay 3000$ for a Sun
:> Ultra5, only to "play" with it. I would have an AXi motherboard (good for
:> experiments) but it costs too much. So, for the hardware I would have something
:> like 50% of the price (no free hardware, at actual stage). Why Sun could give
:> me/us this: I have not 3000$, and actually there are few persons with an Ultra
:> box, so _if_ Sun wants more developers on this project they must help in some
:> way. This is the situation it's not "charity"... Please note also  the word
:> "Open" also means: I can buy it for a good price.
:>
:> 2) Docs, pdf and other things.... On Intel you can find _anything_ about "how
:> it boots", "how it works", books and docs. If you go in a bookstore you can
:> find many books about "everything". Not the same situation on Sparc.
:> So again: "Open" means I can read "how it works" without paying 500$...
:>
:> 3) Moral support. Actually, if Sun (SME) will put something on-line about the
:> harware we can do a good job (something that works/boots on limited hardware)
:> with no moral support. We can do experiments where "I don't know how it works"
:> and read where "it's documented at page..."
:>
:> Thanks for youe time 8)
:>
:>
:>
:> Ciao Ciao
:>        Paolo Di Francesco
:>    _
:>  ->B<-   All Recycled Bytes Message ...
:>    ~
:>
:>
:> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
:> with "unsubscribe freebsd-sparc" in the body of the message
:>
:
:--
:| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
:| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |
:| http://www.jurai.net/~winter | Are you k-rad elite enough for my webpage?   |
:
:
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-sparc" in the body of the message
:

Jamie Bowden

--

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)