Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:18:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@his.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DPT SmartRAID IV w/ FreeBSD...

Folks,

	I haven't subscribed to the list yet, so please bear with me (and
cc: me on all replies).

	Anyway, we already have an existing anonymous ftp server, but my
boss wants me to install a bigger/better/faster model.  I'm not all that
familiar with how the existing server is set up, but I figured I couldn't
go too wrong by paying some attention to how wcarchive.cdrom.com is
configured, or by choosing a RAID solution that is already supported in
FreeBSD.

	Since I generally prefer hardware RAID over software
implementations, and since DPT was explicitly mentioned in the release
notes, I figured I'd start there.  Unfortunately, I don't know exactly
which models of DPT RAID controllers are supported under FreeBSD 2.2.7 (or
FreeBSD 3.0), nor do I know if the DPT Storage Manager could somehow be
run under FreeBSD.

	Can anyone give me some help, especially if you've actually worked
with this combination?

	What about price/performance/reliability comparison with software
RAID solutions for FreeBSD (if any exist)?

	Finally, although I've seen the configuration note for
wcarchive.cdrom.com, I don't think it mentioned explicitly which RAID
solution they were using -- anyone here happen to know?

	Thanks!

--
Brad Knowles <brad@his.com>               <http://www.his.com/~brad/>;
  comp.mail.sendmail FAQ Maintainer Emeritus   38°57'26"N 077°07'16"W