Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:52:07 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Emulation)
Subject:   Re: Help, PLEASE, with VMWare setup (2nd try)

At 8:14 AM -0400 6/23/00, Stan Brown wrote:
>	Here is what i have done:
>
>	1. Built the VMWare 2 port.
>	2. Grabed, built, and insatlled the linuxprocfs port
>          mentioned by this port.

If you are really following the most recent snapshot of freebsd-stable,
then you do not need the separate linuxprocfs port.  It is now a module
in the base system.  Some of the files in the vmware2 port (such as
files/Hints.FreeBSD and files/README.FreeBSD) include information which
has changed since those sections where written.  (for all I know, it has
changed again since the last time I checked -- which was about a week ago)

You may need an update for linprocfs (the new name, now that it's in
the base system) to get it to work right.  Check the freebsd-emulation
mailing list for a recent message with the subject of:
        "Broken linprocfs filesystem in -stable"
(again, this problem may already be fixed in the up-to-the-minute
snapshot of freebsd-4-stable).  It MIGHT be that you have both the
broken linprocfs and the linuxprocfs port in the system, and you are
running into trouble because of that.

The vmware2 port is "cutting edge" enough, that things keep moving
around, making it challenging to find all the most-current pieces
of it.

Also note that once you get the vmware2 port installed, several
useful files end up in /usr/local/share/doc/vmware/

>	The machine is a PII 266MHZ, with 96M of memory. I have
>	cvsuped the latest REL_ENG4 on Wednesday of this week, also
>	the ports tree.

A 266-MHz P-II may be a little low-powered for this, at least
under FreeBSD.  I have a 650-Mhz P-III system, with 256 meg,
and I did get redhat installed OK under that.  (ie, freebsd
as the host OS, redhat as the guest OS).  I also have redhat
native on the same machine, and it seems to me that vmware is
a little slower with a host OS of freebsd vs one of linux.
On the other hand, I haven't been doing the same thing on the
two installs, and haven't really done all that much on EITHER
install...   (to make matters worse, at the moment my redhat
install is screwed up, so I can't get back to that).

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute