Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:21:43 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Lan Speed problem?

I have a test bench with a FBSD gateway with 1 Nic card.
No user ppp or firewall. Very simple. Nothing else running.
The Nic card is connected to a Winbox with a crossover cable.
Some times the response time on the Winbox is almost
instantaneous and other times it's about one quarter the speed.
The slowness is so obvious that I started taking bench marks.
Using telnet on the Winbox to the FBSD server, some times I
have to wait for the login screen to appear and when entering
the user id some time the letters take 2 or 3 seconds to appear.
After getting logged in I edit a file and using the arrow button
to scroll down the screen hesitates a lot.
Other time the speed is as if I am editing from FBSD console.

I needed some real numbers to compare speed so I started using
FTP Lite on the Winbox to download a file from
FBSD /usr/home/userid/dmesg.boot. I put this file there to have a
test file.
All the speed tests start off with booting the FBSD gateway box
followed by booting the Winbox. I then fire up FTP and download
the test file dmesg.boot.

One test I got results of 15.3 to 15.7 duration times with
72.40 to 72.98 KBps transfer rates. I got a tightly packed group
of results doing the same download file 15 times.

I shutdown both machines and redo the same test and I get FTP
results of 30.3 to 40.7 duration times with 30.7.40 to 36.48 KBps
transfer rates.

Now I would think using machines that are basically doing nothing
except this single task should have repeatable very fast
download times no matter how many times the hardware in booted.
I checked the Nic cards in both machines, there set at 100baseT
Full duplex.
I have dialed in to my ISP and have better FTP results than
this over the internet.

Does FBSD have a problem with crossover cables?
Any ideas?