Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2000 15:28:58 -0700
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
To:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Oracle 8.1.6 install on FreeBSD 4-Stable

Success!

I have managed to coerce Oracle8i 8.1.6 for Linux to install on
FreeBSD-Stable using that F.... umh ... Fine installer of Oracle's.

I am posting this in the hopes that it might help someone, who
is searching the mail list archives looking for tips on installing oracle.

I am not sure I could do it again... so please don't mistake this for
step by step instructions on how to do it. Rather, think of this as
my memoires (subject to the accuracy of my memory... which isn't all
that great :-)

First read the how-to:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/linuxemu-oracle.html

Oracle's install doc for Linux:
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/linux_816/unixdoc/a82848/a82848/toc.htm

and the install docs at http://www.oralinux.org/

You will need to install the Linux jre 1.1.6 from Blackdown.org. This will
not run with out manually beating on it. You need to force it to only run
with green_threads, the installer will invoke the jre for native, but
there are no native thread support with this version.

I installed it in
/compat/linux/usr/local/jre116_v5 and created a symlink
/compat/linux/usr/local/linux to point to it
I also made a /compat/linux/usr/local/jre link, but that was
because I was playing with the 8.0.5 installer at the same time.

I tried the Blackdown 1.1.8, but the oracle installer hangs after
(sometimes while) loading the splash screen. I was not able to
resolve this.

I upgraded my linux glibc to glibc-2.1.3-15. I'm not sure if this was
required or not... I had done it while trying to resolve my problems
with jre1.1.8. It doesn't seem to hurt, anyway.

Modify the install/oraparam.ini and change the JRE_LOCATION to be
JRE_LOCATION=/usr/local
runInstaller will use that to create the path to the jre exec
as /usr/local/linux/bin/jre (hence the silly symlink above).

Installer gremlins:
==================
you must have a /compat/linux/etc/mtab file that matches your mounted
file systems or the installer will die on a null pointer exception
(good error checking :-)
see: http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?mtab+4

your oracle dba group and oracle install group must exist in the
/compat/linux/etc/group file or the installer will complain about
not being able to find the group (well, at least the error checking is
getting better).

your oracle user must be defined in the /compat/linux/etc/password file
or the installer will die on another null pointer exception (so
much for the error checking, again).

Root.sh
=======

When the installer prompted me to run the root.sh script,
I su'ed to root and ran /compat/oracle/bin/sh to get a 'Linux environment'
The only path that was incorrect was awk needed to be changed from
/bin/awk to /usr/bin/awk.

After running root.sh, but before continuing with the installer, you
need to change a symlink. Oracle installs a symlink $ORACLE_HOME/JRE to
point to their bundled jre, you need to remove this link and recreate it
pointing to the jre1.1.6 you installed earlier. Otherwise, when the
installer
tries to invoke the assistants at the end of the install, it will use
the bundled jre that does not work.

Unresolved issues
=================

dbassist does not run. It dies on a number format exception. I have not
tracked this one down, but I suspect it is more good error checking :-)

Can any one suggest how Oracle might be trying to calculate
Available Memory? What linux file it might be looking at that does
not exist in FreeBSD?

That is it for my memoires, I hope this helps some one else get
oracle 8.1.6 installed. Happy hacking :-)

-stacy

--
Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character.
    - Calvin

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited