Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:00:24 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        Gerrit Nagelhout <gnagelhout@sandvine.com>
Cc:        "'current@freebsd.org'" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SW_WDOG problem

Gerrit Nagelhout wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Were are trying out the new software watchdog on current (from a couple of
> weeks ago) and are running into a panic within a panic.  What happens is
> when the software watchdog tries to panic the system (with interrupts
> disabled),
> it manages to write out the core file, but then panics again in
> pmap_invalidate_range
> because interrupts are enabled.
> Any ideas on how to work around this?
> Thanks,
>
> Gerrit

This is from a well known class of problems.  There has been talk about
disabling the shutdown fsync in the panic case.  It's both unsafe
(why try to continue to do I/O when you've paniced because the
system has gone into an unreliable state) and hard to do correctly
without running into these kinds of problems.

Scott