Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/38924: Mailwrapper(8) or mailer.conf(5) should mention periodic knob for 'submit' queue

The following reply was made to PR docs/38924; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To: Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/38924: Mailwrapper(8) or mailer.conf(5) should mention
 periodic knob for 'submit' queue
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 11:59:07 -0700

 --==========3872057794==========

 --On Sunday, June 09, 2002 03:06:44 PM +0100 Ceri Davies=20
 <setantae@submonkey.net> wrote:

 >>       Sendmail has a separate 'submit' queue; and the daily periodic
 >> scripts contain code to check both queues.  The code to check the submit
 >> queue can be bypassed by a configuration option in periodic.conf.  But
 >> none of this is obvious to someone who is installing an alternate MTA;
 >> and leads to complaints about the unrecognized '-Ac' command-line param.
 >
 > The daily output is produced via the periodic scripts, so the best place
 > for this, in my opinion, would clearly be periodic.conf(5) where it's
 > already documented.
 >
 > It really doesn't have anything to do with mailwrapper.
 >
 > Would you agree ?

 If I agreed I wouldn't have submitted the bug/rfe.  You are correct in
 that it doesn't -directly- have anything to do with the mailwrapper; but
 the impression given from the mailwrapper and mailer.conf scripts is that
 once you have installed and configured your non-sendmail MTA, all you
 need to do is to edit mailer.conf and restart your daemons to make the
 switchover.  Most sysadmins will only discover the sendmail-specific
 periodic action when they get the error message in their nightly log
 message; and it takes a little digging to translate that message into
 the appropriate periodic knob.  Particularly for sysadmins who abandoned
 sendmail years ago or who have never gained sendmail expertise in the
 first place.

 I think that it would make the sysadmin's life easier if the mail.conf
 and/or mailwrapper man pages included a mention, either of the specific
 knob, or of the simple existance of sendmail-specific periodic actions
 and a pointer to the periodic.conf man page.  Putting it in the BUGS or
 NOTES section would be fine.

 I should also like to point out that the daily_status_include_submit_mailq
 entry in the periodic.conf man page fails to mention that it is sendmail-
 specific and should probably be turned off if using an alternate MTA.  But
 that should probably be a new bug report.

 -Pat