Date:      Tue, 13 May 2003 11:39:43 +0200
From:      "Przemyslaw Wieclawek" <Przemyslaw.Wieclawek@cskmswia.pl>
To:        "Danny Carroll" <fbsd@dannysplace.net>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SMP Proliants and Smart2 Array controllers. (Was: Proliant on a6500)

> > > I freshly installed to a drive on the internal SCSI bus...
> > >
> > > Then I copied the smp kernel over and booted off the new drive (with
the
> > > array card still inserted).
> > > The machine detected the array card and started up just fine...
> > > As soon as I tried to mount a logical drive the command froze.    I
was
> > able
> > > to CTRL-C but it would not talk to the ida logical drives.
> > >
> > > This proves to me that it's an IDA thing...
> > >
> > > Now I'll cvsup to -STABLE and see if that makes a difference.
> > > After that I will try -CURRENT.
> > >
> > > Does anyone on the SMP lists (or Poul) want anything out of this
machine
> > > (traces or whatever?)

I remember similar behavior with 4-STABLE around 4.6 time.
Proliant 3000 dual PIII + SmartArray:
1. runs fine on properly installed non SMP kernel
2. runs fine on properly installed SMP kernel
3. freezes during boot on mounting ida0 on non SMP kernel with SMP modules
and vice versa

It happend after installing SMP kernel that didn't boot. I booted
kernel.GENERIC and wasn't able to mount my ida volumes. Fortunately I had
system installed on regular SCSI disk, and restoring modules proper for
kernel I had booted helped.

Przemek Wieclawek