Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 22:12:58 +0900
From:      Kenji Owaki <owaki-kenji@pa.aix.or.jp>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installer cannot find CD-ROMs - 2.1.6

Thank you for your response.

>> >Do they show up during the boot sequence?  Try hitting 'scroll-lock' and
>> >using the up arrow key to see the boot messages.  I seem to remember the
>> >FX001's not quite coforming to ATAPI spec so FreeBSD doesn't find them.
>>
>> For Mitsumi CD-ROM FX001 on my first PC, it is true its interface is
>> proprietary and not conforming ATAPI, but HARDWARE.TXT says FreeBSD
>> kernel supports it. Are you saying installer kernel is not the case ?
>
>If you're installing anything from 2.1.5 on, the ATAPI support is built
>into the kernel.  The FX001 has to be ATAPI/IDE compatible for it to be
>found.  If it's relatively new then it is not attached to the mcd0 device,
>but to the IDE controller.

I got my Mitsumi CD-ROM three or more years ago.  I believe ATAPI
CD-ROM interface was not introduced at that time.  Actually it is
attached to Mitsumi CD-ROM interface card, so I believe it is
proprietary one.

>> >You might also try moving them to the slave position on the primary
>> >controller if they aren't there already; otherwise, alone on the
secondary
>> >controller.
>>
>> For ATAPI CD-ROM on my second PC, it is placed on secondary controller
>> that is SoundBlaster16 IDE port, and set to master mode. However,
>> it is not appear in the boot sequence in installer kernel.
>
>You need to modify 'wdc1' then to match the settings of the SoundBlaster.

I did.  It is set to the secondary interface default of 0x170 and IRQ=15.

>What changes do you make to the kernel to get it working?

For Mitsumi, I simply put mcd0 enabled with modifing I/O and IRQ
according to my PC.  For ATAPI CD-ROM, I did nothing at all.
After rebuild kerne with these modification from GENERIC, it is
fine.

Anyway, thank you very much for your advice. I will work on
my problem further, and get in touch with you when I get workaround.

Thank you,

--
Kenji Owaki  owaki-kenji@pa.aix.or.jp