Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2017 23:49:00 -0800
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p7 i386 system drive imaging and migration

freebsd-questions:

toor@freebsd:/root # freebsd-version; uname -a
11.0-RELEASE-p7
FreeBSD freebsd 11.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p1 #0 r306420: Thu
Sep 29 03:40:55 UTC 2016
root@releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

toor@freebsd:/root # pkg info xorg | head -n 1
xorg-7.7_2

toor@freebsd:/root # pkg info xfce | head -n 1
xfce-4.12_1

I installed with root on encrypted ZFS.

I've found some useful tricks for system drives on Debian GNU/Linux:

1.  I can copy a Debian system image (partition table, boot partition,
swap partition, root partition) on a HDD, SDD, or USB flash drive to
another HDD, SSD, or USB flash drive using 'dd' (e.g. "clone"), and the
Debian system image on the destination drive will "Just Work".

2.  I can move a HDD, SSD, or USB flash drive with a Debian system image
(partition table, boot partition, swap partition, root partition) from
one computer to another computer, and the Debian system image will "Just
Work" on the destination computer.

I tried the same tricks with a FreeBSD system drive tonight:

1.  Moving a FreeBSD system image from one drive (smaller) to another
drive (larger) causes  Xfce applications to fail to start.  For example,
selecting Application Menu -> Terminal Emulator issues a pop-up:

         Failed to execute default Terminal Emulator.

         Input/output error.

     Switching to the console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), I see the following error
messages:

         vm_fault: pager read error: pid 1023 (python2.7)
         vm_fault: pager read error: pid 1040 (xfce4-terminal)

2.  Moving a drive with a FreeBSD system image from one computer to
another computer produces the same Xfce problems, plus networking failed
to come up (I tested with two machines that have different networking
hardware.  The source has Intel and the destination has Broadcom.  On
Debian, they are both 'eth0'.  On FreeBSD, the source is 'em0' and the
destination is 'bfe0'.)

What is the proper way to clone a FreeBSD system image from one drive to
another?

What is the proper way to move a HDD or SSD with a FreeBSD system image
from one computer to another computer?

TIA,

David

p.s. STFW I found these, but don't know how relevant they are to FreeBSD
11.0-RELEASE-p7 i386:

https://github.com/freebsd/crochet/wiki/How-to-Build-a-Disk-Image

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/11470/

http://georgesfocant.blogspot.com/2009/09/virtualbox-how-to-move-freebsd-to-new.html