Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:53:20 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
Subject:   Re: djbdns

Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

>Take a look at /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh.sample
>
>1. SVDIR=/var/service/ - so svscan will look at /var/service and not
>/service; either do:
>a) what is suggested and use /var/services (e.g. ln -s /etc/dnscache
>/var/service) or
>b) change SVDIR=/var/service/ to SVDIR=/service/
>
>I would use a); also note that creating the log file in /etc/dnscache is
>IMHO a bad idea.

I'm not disagreeing, but the original post complained of something being
wrong in some documentation. Most reference and tutorial pages for
djbdns and other djb stuff like qmail assume a /service directory,
rather than /var/service. Using /var/service does seem more logical, but
can be a source of confusion, especially if people are copying and
pasting commands from online instructions, something the various
references often suggest.

>2.
># cp /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh.sample /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh
># /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svscan.sh start
># svstatus /var/services/dnscache
># svstatus /var/services/dnscache/log
># dnsip www.freebsd.org